Friday, September 4, 2009

Video: Big L Documentary Trailer



Paying a long overdue visit to Mr. Noz's Blunt rapper site the other day, I stumbled upon a trailer for a Big L documentary. Everyone who knows hip hop should know who Big L is and if not then you need to renounce your title, Google him, listen to his work and then put yourself back in the "Hip Hop Head" category. Now I'll be honest, my first time hearing about Big L was after he was killed.



Seeing the video for "Holdin' It Down" (The Big Picture 2000) on Rap City, my inquisituve self questioned who he was, how he died and why I'd never heard of him prior to then. I did my homework and learned about Big L being a part of the Harlem Rap quad Children of The Corn who Cam'Ron, Ma$e and McGruff were also members. I also learned of his first album, Lifestylez ov da Poor and Dangerous (1995) that had "Da Graveyard" (featuring Big L, Lord Finesse, Microphone Nut, Jay-Z, Party Arty & Y.U.) along "Stretch & Bobbito Session" which was a seven-minute freestyle with also featuring Jay-Z, recorded in 1995 as well.


Da Graveyard - Big L


Jay-z Big l freestyle - Big l

By now you're probably wondering why I've dedicated so much space to this guy. Reason being is because he was gone entirely too soon. Many say the same about Pac and Big but they Pac had a few major label releases under his belt before he was killed and Big had one. Big L was killed right before he was supposed to sign to Roc-A-Fella so he never had the marketing and distribution that a tight album like The Big Picture should have been given. A solid 16 tracks, The Big Picture along with M.O.P.'s Warriorz was in heavy rotation through mid-terms my first semester at Howard. The documentary is slated to be released in February 2010 so fans stay tuned.

2 comments:

Korey K said...

The first time I heard L was after The Big Picture came out. This was BIG loss to Hip Hop.

Sonya C. said...

Most definitely...I think he would've released some good shit