Friday, July 24, 2009

The Glass House Remembers The Club Queen DJ K-Swift



A week ago at the Annual My Crew Be Unruly event aka MCBU at The PAradox in Baltimore, I decided to do a recap that was a little different than the norm. This year's MCBU was a tribute to The Club Queen DJ K-Swift
who passed away two days after last year's MCBU, which was also the last gig she played, on July 21, 2008. I figured "Hey I should get "In memory of" drops from all the DJs and performers". But before I present this recap I wanted to say that when I found out the following day that K-Swift passed I was hurt. The first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Hold on...she was just alive. I just heard her on the radio." I was hurt because she was who I came up on listening to mostly on 92Q Jams. Before I was confident to be myself, I had a secret affinity for Club music that I wasn't supposed to because I was from the DC area. Every night in high school and even for a few years after I'd listen to 92Q from 9:00PM-9:30PM to hear K-Swift's mix (the other half I had to listen to GoGo 95). It wasn't until K-Swift hit the airwaves that I realized several years after it's release that "Doo Doo Brown" was a Club track. I was hurt because one of the best music teacher's I had played her last gig. I wasn't in this scene yet so I wasn't fortunate enough to ever see her play live but I'll always have the memory of one of the best DJs I ever heard.

In Memory of The Club Queen DJ K-Swift

No comments: