Sunday, March 8, 2009

I made it into the Gavin Holland party at Ibiza this time...

Only to realize that I was listening to the right DJ amongst the wrong crowd. Well, I'll say "unsuspecting" crowd.

When I attempted to get into this party last month, I arrived there under the pretense that I was good on entry because I was on Gavin's list. Mind you, my knowledge of Ibiza and the crowd is comes solely from the media and word of mouth so you'd think I'd know better - not so much. Nonetheless, I figured everything would be cool at the door. Man, by the time I got there at 11:15, I couldn't even see the door. Not to my surprise, there were many other Gavin Holland/Dave Nada followers who were in the same boat. I got shafted for some faux glam kids! Did I learn my lesson...nope. I decided early last week that I would attend this month's shin-dig (featuring Gavin Holland and Steve Aoki) and arrive before the doors open this time. The last time I did that I was 16 going to see a Battle of the Bands show on a Sunday afternoon at The Icebox. Call me pressed but I figured this would be the one time it was worth going to Ibiza.

I made the trip with Marcus Dowling and after being subjected to some 18 year-old girl nonsense in line along with learning a new racial slur, Canispic (I'll let y'all figure it out), we get in around 10:15, 10:30. Of course the neither of the featured DJs had arrived so we hung out in the Hip Hop room which wasn't too bad actually. After about 45 minutes we moved into what I gather is the House/Techno/Electronica room and it was at that point that we both realized we saw the true beginning of the end of individuality. The majority of the kids in the room were those who want so badly to be cool but have no idea that they're trying too hard. Gavin Holland finally arrives and then my nerves are put to rest...somewhat. I had a hard time absorbing an atmosphere that could be likened to a scene from The Fifth Element/Desperately Seeking Susan/From Dusk 'Til Dawn with hints of Studio 54 - An impressive sound and lighting system and a projector image which looked like coke falling from the sky (Think moon man with the cocaine spoon). I just knew the antichrist was going to come down from the ceiling at the end of the night. Ok maybe that's a bit much lol. Enter more Gavin Holland/Steve Aoki fans...They were the center of attention on the dance floor because, unlike most others in the room, these patrons were the only ones who knew how to dance to this mix. Why? Because they knew what was up. They came dressed as if they were going to a Nouveau Riche party and were partying as if they were amongst THEIR peers. No massive amounts of foundation and gel, no worries about "how's my outfit", just straight partying - It was great!

As a fan and businesswoman, I often read about many artists and other business owners at a crossroads with how maintaining their ethics and integrity can be affected when taking on an opportunity to make more money. I admire the move that Gavin Holland is making because this is an opportunity to not only put major ducats in his pocket, but also an opportunity to carve a new image into the Ibiza imprint, that is if the powers that be of the establishment are willing to allow such a move. For one night, take down the ropes and open up the couches to any and everyone, put up the ice buckets, let me wear my hat inside and ditch the pretentiousness and the party all the suspecting (Read "smart") people see that Ibiza wants to promote will come to fruition. There are plenty of hipsters, sneaker heads and DJ enthusiasts who have the same amount of bread to spend as the people who are paying 500% mark up on Ciroc, Nuvo, and Ace of Spades. I am very new to the nightlife industry as a promoter but I do know that structuring the event around the desired demographic is a hell of a lot easier than forcing the desired demographic to assimilate to something they detest.

No comments: