Sunday, February 1, 2009

Nice places to be, beautiful people to meet

With this being the first post of the month, what better way to start the month than to put y'all on to a few events happening at the top of February...



I was introduced to this monthly open mic event in January by a couple friends. I was leary as hell because I'm kinda not into open mics due to their redundancy and the fact that everyone thinks being able to create a rhyme makes you a poet...STOP. But dag nabbit if this joint didn't change my mind on sight. I walk in the door hearing a vicious female lyricist (RA The MC) and a beautiful notes from a songstress (Mz. Mimz). I also heard new poetry coming from mouths on faces I've never seen - and their shit was pretty good. The whole concept of the event is like that but I'm not going to rap y'all up trying to describe it. You gotta see for yourself...

Black Church Maraca feat. Carolyn Malachi
Saturday February 7th
7PM-11PM
2601 Douglas Place #203 (Yes this is someone's home and y'all ain't too good to go to SE either)
Washington, DC
$5 to chill
Food and Liquor (Open Bar)



1/2 of the Hyll Factor duo but holds her own very well, Mz. Mimz. Typically, the little people (I mean that in the most non-offensive way possible) I meet have something very big about their personalities. Mz. Mimz has a voice, a big one that should be heard....for real...all jokes aside....I'm dead ass...no bullshit. Sike naw but for real go check her show at Haydee's Lounge also on Saturday, February 7th.

Mz. Mimz LIVE!
Haydee's Lounge (Like one minute before Walter Reed)
6303 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington, DC
Show starts @ 8
Performance $150 value and you can get in for ONLY $10




Valentine's Day is coming up and people are making reservations for prix-fixe Valentine's Day dinners, buying roses, candy and silk draws and lingerie among other Valentine's Day traditions. The second installment of The Glass House, "Love Notes", says to heck with that crap and is embracing the simplicity of that crazy emotion called LOVE (Singing "Four Page Letter" in my head right now). Not only can writing a love note be more meaningful but it's also very recession-friendly! Doing it at Jin again this month (Shouts to Chris, Jonathan, Milton, Lauren and Kat) so I know most of y'all are familiar with locale.

Bring your man, bring your girl, yourself or your homies. I'm going stag myself so don't trip if you're without a boo this year.

Love Notes
Jin Lounge
2017 14th St. NW (Next door to Busboys and Poets)
Washington, DC
6PM-10PM

No Cover All Night
$5 Happy Hour Drinks and Appetizers 'til 8
Supa Qool DJ Uncle Q @ 8
Spinnin' Old School Classics, Hip-Hop, Soul and House
Dress Code - Cool, Calm and Collective

No comments: