Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Hip-Hop Stimulus Plan



I read this after my homie Uncle Q tweeted this link today. Considering that I just wrote about the end of the record store, this Hip-Hop Stimulus Plan piece was a good indirect follow up. This proposed plan is the necessary good that must take place in order for things to continue to progress as if there were still a plethora of records stores around.

"Last week I mentioned that I was hesitant to write a complete eulogy for the packaged collection of recordings we’ve come to know as an album. Well, I’ve reconsidered. Here it is.

The album is dead. At least in hip-hop this is the case and, from what I hear, the same is true for other genres. So that Detox album you’ve been holding your breath for - forget about Dre. Blueprint 3? Move it from TBD to RIP. And for all the new signees that keep talking about their debut albums, they need to adjust their marketing and acknowledge the mixtapes are as close to an album as they are going to get." Continue reading here...

No comments: