Monday, February 9, 2009

A couple more local artists I just found out about



I promise I'm going to do better with learning of local artists who are making headway in the industry. A couple friends put me on to Alice Smith last night while watching The Grammys. Miss Smith was born and mostly raised in DC as well as spending a good portion of her youth in Georgia. Although she now resides in BK, I'm still going to big her up on the strength of being another DC artist making noise. She released her first album, For Lovers, Dreamers & Me, in 2006 and was nominated for "Best Urban/Alternative Artist" Grammy in 2007. A couple songs of her's you may be familiar with are "Woodstock" and "Dream". I've heard "Dream" a million times and whole time I never knew it was her.






I was riding the train yesterday and peeped this flyer with the Metro logo, however underneath the logo no mention of Metro was made. Instead I saw the name Muggsy Malone and thought as I always do whenever I see something random like that 'Who the f@%# is Muggsy Malone?' I grabbed the flyer and when I got home I looked this cat up on MySpace and said "This dude is alright (Alright meaning good)". Muggsy Malone aka The Parkway Kid aka Martin Jackson is from the Langdon Park section of NE DC (26th and Franklin) but like many DC natives, has spent time in different parts of the metro area. Around the time he got his deal with Warpath/Fontana/Universal Records, he was in the Army and his sergeant straight hated on him after a fight they got into and burned all his rap journals. Muggsy was dishonorably discharged for his reaction to the hater move but clearly his future wasn't with the Armed Forces. His debut album, Probable Cause, is due out in March so check for that.

2 comments:

PHZ-Sicks said...

Alice Smith is my future wife.

Sonya C. said...

My man PHZ-Sicks....I haven't seen you since my old MySpace page. How you be man?