Monday, February 9, 2009

My very brief thoughts on the Grammys last night

So it's been a a long while since I actually wanted to watch a music awards show. Believe it or not, it wasn't because of the way mainstream music has been going over the last several years but the fact that I don't really like watching TV. Yesterday, something told me to watch the show and see who wins what and who's going to have a hot performance (or not). I missed the first hour but from what I did see, I can honestly say this - maybe we should stop doing so many illegal downloads if we want to see more of our favorite Hip Hop and R&B artists winning in categories where they're up against Pop, Rock and Country acts (Best female/male vocal and Album of the Year). Then again, I could be wrong.

A few performances that stood out to me:

Jennifer Hudson - I had to take an important phone call but I multi-taskingly heard the performance



Most Egocentric Performance of the Year goes to what the writers dubbed "The Summit" aka Kanye, Jay, Weezy and T.I. for "Swagger Like Us". I'm a fan of all those dudes (not Wayne so much) but to see all them competing for their stage presence was a bit trying for me. I gotta tip my hat off to M.I.A. for doing her thing with a baby that can come any minute now. That's a hardworking woman right there!



Radiohead + the Marching Band = a dope performance, made me want to break out my drumsticks



Jennifer Nettles followed by Adele was a nice segue. I really like that song Jennifer Nettles performed and I haven't liked a country song since "Long Time Gone" by the Dixie Chicks (2002). Adele is an awesome singer but unfortunately it's hard for me to get into what I call "Reflection Music" unless I'm depressed.

No comments: