Thursday, October 22, 2009

Revenge of the Retro Kids


This is going to be a weekly column opening up the world of vintage and thrift clothing to regular ladies and gents because we all know somebody who can rock anything from the thrift store and make it look great. I plan to touch on everything from alterations/tailoring, thrift stores in the area, clothing styles during certain decades, street fashion and the idea of not following trends.


Personally, I love thrifting because when I come across an item from the 50's that I know no one else has for $5, I am giddy and I start thinking how I can make it mix into the fashion of today. I want this column to help people be more daring in their clothing and accessories in this conservative town. You can still rock a vintage piece and be very classy. Plus, it's always better to be overdressed. Vintage and thrift clothing also is a great way to express your own individuality (take note "hipsters") with out conforming to the American Apparel and Urban Outfitters mannequins. AND you didn't get ripped off on the price.


It's very easy to wear a top from the Gap but then wear a vintage skirt from the 70's and look great. You would benefit from tucking in the skirt, but the right shoes and accessories will pull it together. Color is a great way to add personality, don't be afraid of it, or crazy prints for that matter (think 60's and 70's).


I will be trying to capture some great streetwear too, it doesn't have to be vintage but it does have to show that this person isn't afraid to use their body as art and let their style speak louder than their words.


Send in any suggestions to me about great vintage/thrift stores or any comments!

No comments: